A Delicious & Healthy Mac & Cheese
This plant-based macaroni and “cheese” is astonishingly rich and creamy. The butternut squash lends it a lovely golden color, as well as a sweet, earthy taste. One of my all-time favorite recipes, this scrumptious dish is perfect to tote along to your next potluck. You’ll end up winning the whole crowd over.
Makes 6 servings
8 ounces (2-1/4 cup) dry whole grain elbow macaroni
12 ounces butternut squash, chopped (about 2-1/2 cups) (see Note)
1-1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried sage
1-1/2 cups unsweetened plain plant-based milk (i.e. Daiya)
1 cup shredded plant-based cheese
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water according to the package directions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Put the squash, broth, nutmeg, black pepper, paprika, mustard, and sage into a medium pot. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Lightly mash the squash mixture in the pot with a potato masher. Stir in the cooked macaroni, plant-based milk, and plant-based cheese.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer the macaroni and cheese mixture into the dish.
- Mix together the bread crumbs and olive oil in a small dish. Sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
Carbohydrate: 39 g
Fiber: 5 g
Protein: 10 g
Total fat: 7 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Sodium: 183 mg
Star nutrients: Vitamin A (91% DV), vitamin C (20% DV)