Festive, Fun, and Healthy!
To celebrate Independence Day this year, try a festive and fun – yet healthy – parfait! This refreshing treat is very low in fat, but loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. More than that, it takes advantage of the fresh berries available during these summer months. You will not be disappointed – this layered creation is delicious and sure to please those of all ages! There is even good news for the chef: the recipe is super simple and quick to prepare. Let the celebration begin!
2 Firm Bananas (not overripe), sliced into approximately 1/4-inch segments
2 cups Fresh Strawberries, washed, hulled, and quartered lengthwise (may use fresh raspberries instead)
2 cups Fresh Blueberries, washed and well-drained
4 cups Low-fat or Non-fat Vanilla Yogurt
Sprigs of Fresh Mint, if desired
Sliced Almonds, if desired
- Place slices from half of banana in the bottom of a large clear glass or parfait cup. Top with 1/2 cup yogurt.
- Add 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries (or raspberries) on top of the yogurt.
- Gently layer another 1/2 cup of yogurt over the strawberries.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of blueberries on the top.
- If desired, garnish each glass with a sprig of fresh mint and/or sliced almonds. Enjoy!
Servings: Makes 4 servings